Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Lessons from a Working Mom-Lesson 106

Not everything is what is seems.
My Grandpa left us his RV when he moved to Hungary. We decided to take advantage of this inheritance-on-wheels and start camping. Our family, along with a group of friends, have become campers and have gone twice in the last three months. It has been SUPER fun and we look forward to the next time we are gonna get out there. It is great fun to hang out with the other families and just relax in the great outdoors while all our kids run around and get to exude the maximum amounts of energy possible. It was on our last relaxing adventure that I did something that definitely doesn't happen everyday - and I sure hope doesn't happen again. Let me set the scene for you...It was late at night, after a long day of fun, friends, food, and festive beverages. Both of our kids were asleep in the awesome RV and so I wanted to turn on as few lights as possible when I entered so they would stay in that state. I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth - and since this is a task that I have done many a-time - didn't feel that I needed to turn on the light. Using the light of the moon through the bathroom window,  I picked up my toothbrush and the toothpaste, spread on a good helping of the paste on to the brush, and went to work. It must have been a good minute or two of brushing before I stopped to spit...or try to spit...out the paste. Oddly, it was sticking to my teeth. I ran my tongue over my teeth and realized the paste didn't taste normal... I must have accidentally used my husband's crazy organic toothpaste that tastes like it sounds. But...no...this paste was sticky...slick...This is when I decided to risk waking the kids and turn on the light. I picked up the tube of paste I had so generously applied to my brush and flipped it over...only to find out that I had brushed my teeth with....A&D ointment. Yes, that is correct, I used the same ointment that I had previously used on my daughter's diaper rash to freshen my breath. After freaking out and reading all the warning labels on the tube - and getting some major convincing from my husband - I decided that I wasn't going to die of A&D poisoning but I did realize that being a mom wields weird hazards that wouldn't present themselves if you didn't have kids (such as using diaper rash ointment to brush your teeth). Being tired -and having a glass of wine- definitely intensifies these hazards. So, what is the lesson to be learned in all of this? Well, we need to be more aware of the mom-hazards that are all around us, we need to pack the baby's items separately from the bathroom toiletries and, above all, A&D ointment is not a good cleaning-agent for teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment