Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lessons from a Working Mom-Lesson 103

Eating for Two
Many pregnant ladies like the idea that you are "eating for two" - it is a good way to justify the mandatory trip to the Cheesecake Factory at 10 o'clock at night. In reality, you aren't really eating for two because number two is the size of whatever type of fruit they compare your baby to each month it is in utero. Well, when you finally give birth and are breastfeeding - you really are eating for two. Not because you need to eat more (it does make you really hungry and thirsty!) but because whatever you eat gets passed to the baby. You eat broccoli - your baby is a little extra gassy. You eat a spicy crab roll with wasabi - your baby is a little extra fussy. And in my case, you eat dairy - your baby snorts like a little pig and gets all congested. That's right. I can't eat any dairy because it makes my sugar all snorty and snotty. Gross is right. And if that wasn't bad enough, because she can only breath through her nose when she eats, if she is all congesty then she can't eat. This leads to a really bad situation. 
Now, I don't drink milk and only eat yogurt on occasion (except for frozen yogurt which is my go-to!) but I LOVE cheese. Everything delicious has cheese on it - Pizza, Nachos, Cheesburgers, Turkey sandwiches with cheddar, potato skins, bean and cheese burritos, need I go on? To be unable to eat cheese is horrible!! It truly makes me sad :( Especially when I watch all my lovely family members porking down on some delicious pizza....and I am eating bread with sauce. No bueno. 
I tested this condition last week....Caite was breathing clear and loving life. I decided that the new BBQ Chicken Pizza at Round Table needed to be tested. Tasting this pizza was like finding my long lost love. I had half the large pizza myself. The next day, I had a baby with a large amount of boogers. So the verdict was correct - no dairy for me because I am eating for two. 
The lesson in all of this is that while I love cheese, I love my sugar more. That isn't something you hear everyday but it is a very powerful statement - "Baby, I love you more than Cheese!"

1 comment:

  1. A stuffy baby is nooo fun, :( sorry for your loss--of dairy.

    ReplyDelete