Saturday, January 23, 2010

Lessons from a Working Mom

Lesson 101 - Going Back to Work is REALLY not fun!
Don't get me wrong - I love my job -  but going back to work after having 11 weeks off is really not on the top of my super-fun-things-to-do list. I got home from work yesterday, after fighting the rain and 60 14-year-olds, and had to make dinner, help a five-year-old with Spanish homework, got peed on - changed my pants, got spit up on - changed my shirt, gave two kids baths, FINALLY got them in bed, graded some homework, sat with my husband on the couch for like two minutes and then went to bed. Then my alarm went off and it started all over again. 
I know - complain, complain, complain...blah, blah, blah....it could be totally worse.  I love my job, my kids, my husband, and my life - but finding the balance to deal with it all, is not coming easily. I am having a hard time even remembering what day of the week it is, let alone all the things that need to be done. 

I recently hung out with a wonderful woman from Canada. She told me that they all get 6 months paid time off to have a baby...and then have the option of taking off the rest of the year. She also told me in Europe that women get a whole year paid. I may be making a location change before baby number three...it's nice in Canada, right?
 
So, I guess the lesson in all of this is adjusting to being a working mom is no bueno. Hopefully in a few weeks, the routine will be in place - but for now, I am one toilet-scrub away from scooping out my eye with a spoon.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! You are AWESOME for all you do, not many people can do what you do so that makes you very special!! And you probably don't get told that enough!

    ReplyDelete